Greetings again from the boreal north!
OPOE is back in Finland to premiere our first film, Jukajoki, and to produce a new movie with our partners at Snowchange Cooperative about the Puruvesi seiners.
OPOE arrived to Selkie on sunday evening and shared tea with our hosts, Antero and Seija, and our partners Tero and Kaisu Mustonen.
Seining on Puruvesi has continued unbroken since the 1300s. OPOE filmed with two groups of commercial seiners who take their catch - vendace, or muikku - to market in Helsinki and other major cities. Recently, the Puruvesi seining practice has achieved EU certification as a significant cultural practice, which protects the seiners from trawlers and other types of intensive fishing that might collapse their fishery. (You can read more about seining from our summer 2015 blog post.)
Under-ice seining is complicated to describe, so I will let the upcoming film do the explaining. That said, setting the 300 meter nets under the ice involves radio controlled torpedoes, a complex understanding of weather conditions, above and below ice conditions, the lake floor, the water column, patience, and a great tolerance for harsh winter conditions. The fishermen who choose to seine continue a deeply rooted and traditional practice, carried on in some clans for centuries. By producing this film, Snowchange Cooperative hopes to share and reinvigorate the tradition and spark interest in younger fisher-people who might want to pursue the practice. The current generation of Puruvesi seiners is getting older, and there is a real concern that the practice will die out.
The Puruvesi fishery is robust, healthy, and can handle many additional seining teams. In the future, should imports like farm-raised Norwegian salmon become cost-prohibitive for Finns, seining for vendace might become a valuable practice once again - maintaining the practice, therefore, is imperative.
On Thursday night, Jukajoki premiered at the Kontiolahti municipality building to a group of about 100 and was followed by a short panel discussion. An excellent evening!
The coming days will take OPOE 1,200km north, to the northern town of Ivalo, in Lapland.
-Tom & Nuin-Tara
Check out our entire archive below...
- Jul 12, 2016 New Video: Puruvesi (Ice fishing in Finland) Jul 12, 2016
- Mar 5, 2016 Puruvesi Mar 5, 2016
- Jul 14, 2015 Almost, Exactly Average or: How I Stopped Worrying and Started to Love Crowdfunding Jul 14, 2015
- Jul 8, 2015 Summer on the Jukajoki Jul 8, 2015
- May 18, 2015 What are they building in there? May 18, 2015
- May 7, 2015 No Silver Bullet: Ecomodernism, Technology, and Path Dependency May 7, 2015
- Nov 11, 2014 Some Fish, Some Tango, and a Fiery Goodbye Nov 11, 2014
- Oct 26, 2014 62° 39' 00" N, 30° 08' 00" E Oct 26, 2014
- Oct 14, 2014 Bluefields to Wawashang - Final Nicaragua Installment Oct 14, 2014
- Oct 3, 2014 Monkey Point & Bangkukuk: Part 2 Oct 3, 2014
- Oct 1, 2014 Monkey Point & Bangkukuk: Part 1 Oct 1, 2014
- Sep 30, 2014 ¿Que Podemos Hacer Juntos? (What Can We Do Together?) Sep 30, 2014
- Sep 11, 2014 Reflections on Union and a Brief Respite with Cosmos Sep 11, 2014
- Sep 2, 2014 The Sea Will Rise, Barbuda Will Survive Sep 2, 2014
- Aug 25, 2014 OPOE in Antigua or, Tarantulas, LambLions & Plumeria Aug 25, 2014
- Aug 24, 2014 A Farwell to Union, Hello Grenada Aug 24, 2014
- Aug 10, 2014 I'll Have One Film Workshop, With a Side of Chicken Fever Aug 10, 2014
- Aug 4, 2014 Island Hopping - from Bequia to Union Aug 4, 2014
- Jul 30, 2014 A Sub, a Princess, Chicken and Bake - Another OPOE Week in Review Jul 30, 2014
- Jul 20, 2014 From Santa Fe to St. Vincent - OPOE's First Week in the Field Jul 20, 2014
- May 30, 2014 Fast Tracking Climate Adaptation–tapping our natural tendency to experiment May 30, 2014
- May 21, 2014 Reframing Despair May 21, 2014
- May 8, 2014 May 13th Campaign Launch! Help Build Momentum May 8, 2014
- May 5, 2014 Update - letter of support from USAID! May 5, 2014
- April 2014